Sixth Battery Massachusetts Volunteer Light Artillery
Three Years (Re-enlisted)

Acton men who served in the 6th Battery Massachusetts Volunteer Light Artillery:

George E. Barker

Regimental history from Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War, compiled and published by the Adjutant General:

The 6th Batty. Mass. Vol. Lt. Art. was recruited at Camp Chase, Lowell, in the fall of 1861 and the winter following. It was one of the Butler organizations, the others being the 30th and 31st Massachusetts Infantry, the 4th Massachusetts Battery, and three unattached companies of Massachusetts Cavalry. The 6th Battery went out under the command of Captain Charles Everett of Boston.

The muster in of this unit was completed in January, 1862, and on February 8 it embarked on the transport IDAHO bound for Ship Island in the Gulf of Mexico. It was armed with two rifled and four smooth bore 6 pounder guns. Arriving at Ship Island March 8, it remained there until April 15 when it embarked on the steamer MISSISSIPPI, and, after the capture of Forts Jackson and St. Philip by the Navy, accompanied General Butler to New Orleans. Here it was attached to the brigade of Genl. Thomas Williams. One section under Lieutenant Carruth crossed the river to Algiers where it operated for some time in the region west of that city along the line of the railroad leading to Brashear City.

Early in June the entire battery was sent to Baton Rouge, and about the middle of the month two sections under Captain Everett proceeded up the Mississippi with an expedition to the front of Vicksburg. After an active campaign of about five weeks, on July 26 the entire battery was again united at Baton Rouge. Here during the battle of the 5th of August it did heroic work in repulsing the enemy's attack, losing four killed, nine wounded, and one missing.

Later in the month of August the battery was withdrawn to New Orleans where, on September 7, Lieutenant Carruth succeeded Captain Everett in command. It was now attached to Genl. Godfrey Weitzel's Reserve Brigade and was armed with two 12 pounder howitzers and four 6 pounder Sawyer guns.

On October 24 the battery proceeded to Donaldsonville where it landed and marched up Bayou La Fourche to Thibodeaux where it went into winter quarters. With the exception of a four days expedition to the Teche in January, the battery remained at Thibodeaux until February 22, 1863, when it advanced to Brashear City. Here it re­mained until April 9, when it joined the well known Teche expedition. It was engaged at Ft. Bisland, April 12 and 13, reached Opelousas, April 20, and, pushing northward from this place, reached Alexandria, May 4.

Returning thence, on the 17th it was ordered to proceed to Port Hudson via Bayou Sara. On reaching Bayou Sara one section was ordered to remain at Point Coupee on the west bank of the river, while the other two sections proceeded to the .front of Port Hudson. Here they were engaged in supporting the assault of May 27 and during the siege which followed. After the surrender of the city, July 9, the 6th Battery again pro­ceeded to Donaldsonville. In a reconnaissance made July 12 it had the misfortune to lose one gun. It remained in the vicinity of DonaldsonvilIe until July 30, when it proceeded again to Thibodeaux. After nearly two months spent at this place, on Sept. 25 it was sent to Algiers for re-equipment. It was now reduced to a four gun battery and was transferred to Berwick Bay.

From October 3 to December 9, 1863, it was commanded by 2d Lieutenant Edward K. Russell of the 2d Battery. On the latter date 1st Lieutenant John F. Phelps took command and was commissioned captain to date from October 3.

About the middle of October the battery proceeded up the Teche again to Opelousas, returning to Vermillionville, November 1, and to New Iberia, November 16, where it went into winter quarters. On January 5, 1864, 56 of the members of the battery re­-enlisted, and after much delay they set out for home on veteran furlough April 13. They returned to New Orleans, June 8, and there remained for the remainder of the year.

In January, 1865, enough recruits were received to increase the number of men to 169. Lieut. Edward K. Russell was now commissioned captain, and in February the battery was re-equipped with six guns. It remained at New Orleans during the remainder of its term of service.

On July 21 it embarked on the steamer ASHLAND for New York. Proceeding thence to Readville, Mass., August 1, on the 7th of that month the men were formally mustered out of the United States service. Three days later they were paid off and the battery was disbanded.


Regimental history from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, by Frederick Dyer:

    Organized at Camp Chase, Lowell, and mustered in January 20, 1862. Sailed from Boston for Ship Island, Miss., on Steamer "Idaho" February 8, 1862, arriving there March 8. Attached to 2nd Brigade, Dept. of the Gulf, to October, 1862. Reserve Brigade, Dept. of the Gulf, to January, 1863. Artillery, 1st Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. Gulf, to August, 1863, Reserve Artillery, Dept. of the Gulf, to October, 1863. Artillery, 1st Division, 19th Army Corps, to June, 1864. Reserve Artillery, Dept. of the Gulf, Defenses of New Orleans, La., to July, 1865.

    SERVICE--Duty at Ship Island, Miss., until April 15, 1862. Expedition to Biloxi and Pass Christian April 2-5. Biloxi April 3. Pass Christian April 4. Operations against Forts St. Phillip and Jackson April 15-28. Occupation of New Orleans May 1. Expedition to New Orleans & Opelousas Railroad May 9-10. Moved to Baton Rouge May 12. (One Section on duty at Algiers until June.) Reconnaissance to Warrenton May 14-29, Williams' Expedition to Vicksburg, Miss., and operations against that place June 20-July 26. Ellis Cliff June 22. Hamilton Plantation, near Grand Gulf, June 24. Duty at Baton Rouge until August 21. Battle of Baton Rouge August 5. Evacuation of Baton Rouge and movement to Carrollton August 21-22. Duty there until October. Operations in La Fourche District October 24-November 10. Capture of Donaldsonville October 25. Georgia Landing, near Labadieville, October 27. Duty near Thibodeaux until February 22, 1863. Expedition to Bayou Teche January 11-15. Action with Steamer "Cotton" January 14. Moved to Brashear City February 22, thence to Bayou Boeuf and duty there until April 2. Operations in Western Louisiana April 9-May 14. Teche Campaign April 11-20. Fort Bisland, near Centreville, April 12-13. Jeanerette April 14. Pursuit to Opelousas April 14-20. Expedition to Alexandria May 4-17. Moved from Alexandria to Port Hudson May 17-25. Siege of Port Hudson May 25-July 9. Assaults on Port Hudson May 27-June 14. Surrender of Port Hudson July 9. Moved to Donaldsonville July 11 and duty there until July 30. Cox's Plantation July 12-13. Duty at Thibodeaux July 31-September 25. Moved to Algiers September 25, thence to Berwick October 6. Western Louisiana "Teche" Campaign October 11-November 7. Rejoined Division at Carrion Crow Bayou. Duty at New Iberia November 17, 1868, to January 7, 1864. Moved to Franklin January 7 and duty there until March 3. Moved to New Orleans March 3, thence to Boston, Mass., April 13-20. Moved from Boston to New Orleans May 23-June 8. Assigned to duty in the Defenses of New Orleans until July, 1865. Moved to Readville, Mass., July 21-August 1, and there mustered out August 7, 1865.

    Battery lost during service 6 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 50 Enlisted men by disease. Total 57.