Book and Media Lists
PBS Great American Read
Book and Literature Databases
(A valid Minuteman Library card is needed)
- Gale Literature Resource Center: Literary criticism, author biographies, and entries from Gale reference works.
- NoveList: Fiction reviews, author read-alikes, book discussion guides, recommended reading lists, award lists and feature articles.
- Literature Map: Search for an author to create a visual map of authors' names. The closer two names are to each other, the more likely a reader will like both authors. Click on another author's name to put them at the center of the map.
- What should I read next?: Enter the title or author of a book you enjoy and this site will provide book recommendations and suggestions for what to read next.
- Whichbook: Use the sliders to choose up to four elements you are looking for in a book, such as happy vs. sad or short vs. long, and the website will offer reading suggestions. You can also specify the type of character, plot, and setting.
Books in Series
- FictFact: Track your favorite fiction series and receive free alerts to remind you when new books in the series you follow are being published.
- Juvenile Series and Sequels: Discover complete series in children’s literature. Series are classified into three audiences; Juvenile Easy (JE), Juvenile (J), and Young Adult (YA).
- What’s Next: What title comes next in a series of books? Use this site to discover all the books in a particular series.
Books by Genre
Additional Resources for Book Lovers and Book Groups
- Book Club Central, from the American Library Association: "Online resource for book clubs and readers featuring book reviews, author interviews, discussion questions and more."
- Book Group Buzz: “Book group tips, reading lists, and lively talk of literary news from the experts at Booklist Online.”
- Book Movement: Provides book clubs with a club homepage, an online discussion space, lists of Top Club Picks, Book Spotlights and Author Chats....
- Books on the Air (Bookletters): Books featured this week on television and NPR
- Goodreads: A social media site for book lovers. Discover and create personalized shelves of books to read, track books you have already read and share your opinions about books with friends.
- Library Thing: Create a library-quality catalog for your personal book collection while discovering new books through social networking.
- LitLovers.com: "The website for all things literary"-- book club tips, book club title recommendations, reading guides and reviews ...
- Oprah's Book Club (Bookletters) Oprah Winfrey's book club picks.
- Reading Group Choices: Discover great book club reads and get advice on running your book club.
- Reading Group Guides: Need discussion questions to help run your next book club meeting? This online community for book clubs has over 3,600 searchable guides.
LARGE PRINT BOOKS
- All Audiobooks (catalog search)
- Audiobooks on CD (adult department)
- Audiobooks on CD (children and Teen department)
- Audiobooks on Playaway (adult department)
- Audiobooks on Playaway (children and Teen department)
DVDs, VCDs AND STREAMING VIDEO
- DVDs, VCDs and Streaming Video (catalog search)
- DVDs (in adult department)
- DVDs (in children and Teen department)
- DVDs: Television programs
- DVDs: Feature films (not documentaries)
- DVDs: Documentary films
- DVDs: Instructional films
- DVDs: Children's films
- DVDs: Animated films
- DVDs: Foreign films
COLLEGE COURSES ON COMPACT DISC AND DVD ("Great Courses" and "Modern Scholar")