ACTON MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Effective April 1, 2014
The Acton Memorial Library Board of Trustees (hereinafter referred to as “Board”) seeks to balance the advantages of using the Fitzgerald Piano (hereinafter referred to as “piano”) for the entertainment and enrichment of the community with the need of library users for a quiet environment conducive to concentration and study.
Authority for approval or denial of requests for use of the piano lies with the Board, which may delegate that authority to the Library Director. Appeals may be made to the Board should any applicant be dissatisfied with the Library Director’s decision.
The interpretation of and exceptions to this policy shall be at the sole discretion of the Board, which reserves the right to amend this policy from time to time.
Reservations shall be made through the Library Director or his/her designee and will be considered on a first come, first served basis. Any group or individual wishing to use the piano must comply in all respects with the provisions of this policy.
Rules for Use
Concerts shall be held on Sunday afternoons between early September and mid-June, when the library is open 2-5 p.m. Requests for other times must be submitted to the Board in writing and approved by the Board.
There may be up to 6 concerts a year during the hours the library is open.
With the exception of fundraising activities, all concerts shall be open to the public and free of charge. Fundraising activities must be held during hours the library is not open and must receive prior approval from the Board.
The library has the responsibility for arranging for the piano to be tuned.
The piano is not available for recitals.
Refreshments are not permitted.
The library is not responsible for instruments, equipment, or music scores if they are lost, stolen, or damaged.
For concerts which are co-sponsored by the library:
- There is no fee for using the piano, although donations by the co-sponsoring organization or individual toward the upkeep of the piano are welcome.
- The responsibility for publicity shall be shared by the library and the co-sponsoring organization or individual. All publicity shall indicate that the organization/individual and the library are co-sponsors.
- The co-sponsoring organization or individual is expected to assist in placing chairs near the piano before the concert, returning them to carriers after the performance, and making sure the area is left clean.
Chairs may not block access to adjacent library collections.
- At least two members of the co-sponsoring group or the co-sponsoring individual must be present during the concert.
- The co-sponsoring group or individual shall comply with all reasonable and lawful requests by the library’s Piano Committee, the library staff, and the Acton Police Department. Individuals who fail to comply will be required to leave the library. Groups which fail to comply, or whose leaders fail to comply, will be barred from using the piano.
- Responsibility for any special arrangements may be shared by mutual decision between the library and the co-sponsoring organization or individual.
For concerts which are not sponsored or co-sponsored by the library:
- The fee for using the piano is $150, which includes funds for tuning and maintenance. Checks should be received at least 3 weeks before the reserved date and should be made out to ‘Acton Memorial Library Gift Fund.’
- A copy of the press release announcing the concert must be provided to the library at least 3 weeks before the concert.
- Groups or individuals sponsoring concerts may request and place chairs near the piano providing they do not block access to adjacent library collections. Chairs should be placed back on their carriers following the concert, and the area left clean.
- At least two members of the sponsoring group or the sponsoring individual must be present during the concert.
- The group or individual using the piano shall comply with all reasonable and lawful requests by the library’s Piano Committee, the library staff, and the Acton Police Department. Individuals who fail to comply will be required to leave the library. Groups who fail to comply, or whose leaders fail to comply, will be barred from using the piano.
- Any special arrangements will be the sole responsibility of the person or group in whose name the reservation is made.
Situations not addressed by this policy shall be resolved at the discretion of the Library Director. These decisions must be in writing and signed by the Library Director to be valid.
Approved by the Board of Trustees of Acton Memorial Library this 24th day of March, 2014.