Searching in the Libby App
by Reference Librarian 2 | April 14, 2021 at 01:04 PM
To search for ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines in the Libby by OverDrive app:
- Tap the magnifying glass at the bottom of the screen to open the search bar.
- Enter the title, author, and/or series name that you would like to search. Tap the search button on your device's keyboard.
- To run an advanced search, tap the three dots below the search bar, and make selections next to the relevant options. Tap Search.
Once you run a search in Libby, you can narrow your results in the following ways:
- Tap books, audiobooks or magazines at the top of the results to only show titles in that format.
- Tap Refine to temporarily override your default filter and sorting preferences for only these search results. For instance, if your default Availability setting is Available Now, you can select Everything to also see titles for which you could place a hold.
You can also set your Libby app Preferences so that your search results only include content you might be interested in.
To set your app preferences:
Tap Preferences in the top left corner of the search results screen.
Tap the word next to each filter and sorting option to make your selections.
Tap Apply Preferences.
The number of options you changed from their default setting will appear next to the word Preferences in the search results.
Your preferences will apply across the Libby app, to all of the networks you have saved in the app and to all of the searches you run. While you can temporarily override these settings for a particular search by using the Refine feature in your search results, your default settings will still apply to future searches unless you make changes in the Preferences section of the app.