Introducing the New Acton Memorial Library Website
by Children's Librarian 1 | September 18, 2013 at 02:09 PM
We are pleased to present the library's new website, the culmination of over a year of research, planning and work.
The new site brings an attractive, organized design to the library's web services, as well as several new features and functions:
- An "Essential Links" bar with access to the most frequently accessed content (the Catalog, My Account, Databases, etc.) is always visible at the very top of the page just under your browser's toolbars.
- The Children's, Junior High, and Young Adult audiences have their own homepages, easily accessed from the Essential Links bar at the top of the page.
- Content has been organized into a main menu with drop-down options and a secondary menu at the left, so visitors can always see where they are on the site.
- A calendar feed, a new items bookcovers service, and a catalog and site search box has been added to the homepage. A link to a sitemap is available from the footer area.
- The featured news items on the homepage can be set to automatically expire, so we will never have outdated information on our homepages.
- Every page is "printer-frendly."
- A subscription to "Bookletters" has been activated, which allows staff to present custom booklists that link to the Minuteman Catalog and publishers' descriptions.
- A blog service, news archive, and photo gallery functions are incorporated into the site.
- Social media accounts have been established, with links at the bottom of every page.
- Best of all, the site uses "responsive design", which means it looks just as good and functions just as well on a tablet or mobile phone!
The project was funded with financial assistance from the Acton Memorial Library Foundation, Inc.