Computers and Tech
- Public computers on the upper level provide Internet access and Microsoft Office 2010. Public computers in the Children's Room provide filtered Internet access for children. Users must sign-in to a computer with a library card or guest pass. Time limits may apply. The library's Internet Access Policy can be found HERE.
- Users of the library's public computers may save files to their own flash drives. Flash drives are also available to purchase at the Circulation Desk.
- Printing is available from public computers for 10 cents per page for black or 25 cents per page for color. Pre-payment through a "print account" is required. To set up a print account, simply present your library card and payment (cash or check) to the staff at the reference desk on the upper level.
- Wireless Internet access, courtesy of the Town IT Department, is available throughout the library. The wireless network name or SSID (Service Set Identifier) is “Acton”. Access is free. No registration or password is required. Users agree to abide by the library's Wireless Access and Internet Usage policies. Printing from the wireless network is available, with some limitations.
- Wireless Mobile Hotspots are available to borrow. These small devices allow you to take the Internet with you wherever you go. Adults with a library card can check the hotspots out for 2 weeks. The late fee is $1/day. Ask at the circulation desk for more information. Acton residents can place a hold on a hotspot through the Minuteman Catalog: http://find.minlib.net/iii/encore/record/C__Rb3630470
- Electrical outlets to power laptops and mobile devices are located in tables and study carrels throughout the library.
- A microfilm (reel/fiche) reader/printer/scanner is located on the upper level. Users may save images to a USB drive. Printing is 10 cents per page.
- An oversize (11x17) flatbed scanner is available on the upper level.
- A sheetfed scanner with OCR capability is available on the upper level.
- Photocopiers (black and white only) are available on the lower and upper levels. Photocopies are 10 cents per page.
- An electric typewriter is available on the upper level.
- An iPad with Internet access and dozens of reference apps installed is located in the Reference Area.
- An iPad with Children's apps is located in the Children's Room.
- A portable "floppy" drive for 3.5 inch disks is available at the reference desk.
- Charging cables for popular smart phone models are available at the reference desk for use in the library.
- A USB camera card (SD card) reader for use in the library is available at the reference desk.
- Reading glasses for use in the library are available at the reference desk.
- The library does NOT have a public fax machine.