Online Technology Tutorials
General Technology Skills
- GCF Learn Free, from the Goodwill Community Foundation - Lessons and videos on a wide variety of technology skills including the basics, software tutorials, and essential skills for living in the online world. Also available in Spanish.
- Digital Learn, from the Public Library Association - Online tutorials to help you tackle technology at your own pace. Includes tutorials in Spanish.
- Computers for Beginners, from Boston Public Library - Designed for users with little or no computer experience, this guide includes information on computer parts and basic skills, including how to use the mouse and keyboard.
- Computer Keyboard Shortcut Keys, from ComputerHope.com - Links to lists of keyboard shortcuts for function keys, Apple, Windows, Microsoft Word, and more.
- Windows 10 Tutorial, from GCF Learn Free - This tutorial provides an overview of Windows 10, offers answers to frequently asked questions, and guides you through the basics to start using this operating system. Includes a tutorial for using Windows 10 on a tablet.
- Windows 10 Help, from Microsoft - This resource is Microsoft's support page for Windows 10. Includes information on troubleshooting, Cortana, and privacy
- Microsoft Edge Help, from Microsoft - This resource is Microsoft's support page for the new Edge browser, which replaced Internet Explorer as the default web browser in Windows 10.
- Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows, from Microsoft - Use these keystroke combinations to perform tasks for which you would otherwise use a mouse. Shortcut tables available for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 -- select the appropriate version from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- OS X Basics, from GCF Learn Free - Whether you're new to OS X or just want to brush up on the basics, this tutorial will cover the most important things you'll need to know.
- Apple Support -- Apple's official support page. Includes support for Mac, Apple mobile devices, and more.
- Microsoft Office tutorials, from GCF Learn Free -Tips and tutorials for Office 2000, XP, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- Office Training Center, from Microsoft - If you’re looking for help in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Office 365 or other Microsoft products, these tutorials will help. They are available for versions 2010 and newer.
- Office 365 Basics, from Microsoft - An overview of Office 365 and how to get started with it. Includes links and help for both business and home/education users, as well as guidance for using Office 365 on different devices.
- Office Quick Start Guides, from Microsoft - Downloadable guides for Office 2013 and 2016, Office Mobile, and Skype for Business.
- Microsoft Office Training Manuals (PDFs), from Best STL, a London-based company. Free manuals for Office 2007, 2010, and 2013. Also includes links to free Quick Reference Guides for Office 2007 and 2010.
- Google Help - Google's support page for all of its services. Includes support for Gmail, Calendar, Drive and more.
- Google Apps tutorials, from GCF Learn Free - Tips and tutorials for Google products. Includes Gmail, Maps, Docs, Drive, Sheets, and Slides.
- OneDrive Help, from Microsoft - Support page for OneDrive, Microsoft's free online storage app.
- Dropbox Tutorial, from GCF Learn Free -- Get started with Dropbox, a popular cloud-based service for storing and sharing files and photos.
- Internet Basics, from GCF Learn Free - An introductory guide through Internet basics, including information on web browsers and search engines.
- Internet for Beginners, from Boston Public Library - Designed for both new and experienced users. Includes information on Internet basics, search engines, evaluating websites, and more.
- Internet Security and Safety
- Email for Beginners, from Boston Public Library - This guide includes information on basic email use, safety, etiquette, and more.
- Searching the Web, from Prince George's Community College (Maryland) - Learn about Internet basics, including terminology, web browsers, and search engines. Click on the blue buttons on the left to read each section.
- Evaluating Web Resources
- Finding Images Online, from Harvard Law School - To help you avoid violating copyright, this guide explains the difference between public domain and Creative Commons licensing. Includes links to resources for finding public domain and Creative Commons-licensed images, audio files, and videos.
- Finding Images and Other Visual Resources, from Boston Public Library - A collection of tips and links related to how and where to find images online beyond a Google search. Includes information on how to correctly cite images, as well as resources listed by subject.
- Facebook 101, from GCF Learn Free - Learn how to create, use and maintain a Facebook page.
- Facebook App Tutorial, from GCF Learn Free - Learn the basics of using the Facebook app on your smartphone or tablet. This tutorial works well for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices.
- Twitter Tutorial, from GCF Learn Free - Learn how to create and use a Twitter account, including how to customize your profile and privacy settings.
- Pinterest Tutorial, from GCF Learn Free - Pinterest is a website dedicated to sharing images users discover online. In this tutorial, learn how to set up an account, share images, and find images posted by other users.
- Instagram Tutorial, from GCF Learn Free - Instagram is an app designed for sharing photos. In this tutorial, learn how to get started with Instagram, share and edit photos, and customize your privacy settings.
- LinkedIn Basics, from GCF Learn Free - Learn the basics of LinkedIn, a professional networking website, including how to create a LinkedIn page, search for jobs, and connect with others in your industry or field.
- Blog Basics, from GCF Learn Free - Learn what a blog is, how to subscribe to them, and how to create and promote your own blog.