Online Computer Tutorials
Safari Books Online
The library's subscription to Safari Books Online includes access to hundreds of online books and videos on computer technology and basic programming topics. Our subscription includes home access for Acton residents.
Other Free Online Resources
- Digital Learn - Online tutorials to help you tackle technology at your own pace. Classes include Getting Started on the Computer, Buying a Plane Ticket, Online Job Searching, and much more.
- GCF Learn Free – Lessons and videos on a wide variety of computer skills including the basics, software tutorials, and essential skills for living in the online world.
- Teach Parents Tech – Simple tech support videos covering subjects such as copying and pasting; adjusting the time on your computer’s clock; making text bigger or smaller, and much more.
Using a Mouse
- Mousercise – A program to practice using a computer mouse – from moving the cursor around the screen to clicking and double-clicking.
- New User Tutorial - Teaches both mouse and keyboard skills. Great for new users and those unfamiliar with a computer.
- Good Typing - Typing lessons in multiple languages. 27 different courses.
- TypingWeb - Beginner to advanced lessons as well as specialty lessons. Premium lessons are available to preview, but require you to pay to go further. Courses identify problem keys, words per minute, and accuracy. Log-in to keep track of your progress.
- Windows 7 Tutorial - 17 videos on using this operating system and how to get the most out of it. Learn about some of the new features that Microsoft has included to make using the computer easier. Recommended for users that are familiar with the mouse and keyboard and basic functions of a computer.
- Articles introducing Windows 8 and 8.1 and their basic concepts from 7tutorials.com - A series of short articles providing step-by-step guidance for using Windows 8 and 8.1.
- Getting Started Tutorials for Windows 8.1 from Microsoft - Windows "how-tos" covering everything from getting online to using SkyDrive.
- Install the Classic Shell app on your Windows 8 PC to add classic Windows features such as the start button, start Menu, and toolbar for Windows Explorer.
- OS X Basics - Whether you're new to OS X or just want to brush up on the basics, this tutorial will cover the most important things you'll need to know.
- Digital Learn - Using a Mac (OS X) - Learn how to use a Mac (Apple) with the OS X Operating System.
- Excel Easy Tutorials - Excel Easy offers a variety of Excel tutorials as well as related examples and features.
- GCF Learn Free – Microsoft Office tutorials Also available in Spanish.
- In Pictures – Step-by-step computer tutorials based on pictures instead of words. Covers many Microsoft Office programs.
- Microsoft Office tutorials from Microsoft - If you’re looking for help in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access or other Microsoft products, these tutorials will help. They are available for versions 2003 and newer.
- Microsoft Office training manuals (PDFs) - Free manuals for Office 2003, 2007 and 2010, from Best STL, a London-based company.
- Microsoft Office 2013 Quick Start Guides (PDFs) - Click here for guides to Access, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, Visio, and Word.
- How to recover that un-saved Microsoft Office Excel, Word, or PowerPoint file you closed before saving. (PDF)
- Google Apps Learning Center – Videos and instruction guides for various Google apps including gmail, calendar, docs and more.
- GCF Learn Free - Google Docs (part of Google Drive) - This tutorial steps you through the ins and outs of creating documents using Google Docs, a free, easy-to-use, word processing option.
- GCF Learn Free - Google Spreadsheets (part of Google Drive) - This tutorial shows you how to use the free Google spreadsheet application.
- GCF Learn Free - Office Online (part of Microsoft's OneDrive) - This tutorial explains how to access and use Office Online, a free, online version of Microsoft Office.
- In Pictures - Google Apps - Three tutorials covering Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides.
- Bare Bones 101 – Produced by USC’s library, this site will help you understand basic searching on the Internet as well as explanations of several different search engines.
- GCF Learn Free - Internet 101 – An introductory guide through Internet basics, providing up-to-date information on the latest online tools and technologies. Also in Spanish.
- Learn The Net – An excellent site for any beginner venturing out onto the Internet. It explains topics ranging from clicking on links to social networks.
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly – This tutorial explains how to find and use Internet resources that provide quality information, and how to avoid misinformation and scams.
- Internet Research for College Classes – The Virtual Training Suite aims to help university students to develop Internet research skills to assist with their university coursework and assignments.
- Search for Images on The Internet – Learn how to use the Internet to find copyright cleared images.