Online Computer Tutorials
Safari Books Online
The library's subscription to Safari Books Online includes access to hundreds of online books and videos on computer technology and basic programming topics. Our subscription includes home access for Acton residents.
Other Free Online Resources
- CommonCraft videos take a topic and describe how it works to people in plain English. Some helpful videos relating to computers and the Internet are Computer hardware; Computer Software; Computer viruses and threats; Social Media (eg. Facebook, Twitter, etc.); World Wide Web.
- GCF Learn Free – Simple lessons and videos on computer parts, set-up and safety.
- Teach Parents Tech – Simple tech support videos covering subjects such as copying and pasting; adjusting the time on your computer’s clock; making text bigger or smaller, and much more.
Using a Mouse
- Mousercise – A program to practice using a computer mouse – from moving the cursor around the screen to clicking and double-clicking.
- New User Tutorial - Teaches both mouse and keyboard skills. Great for new users and those unfamiliar with a computer.
- Good Typing - Typing lessons in multiple languages. 27 different courses.
- TypingWeb - Beginner to advanced lessons as well as specialty lessons. Premium lessons are available to preview, but require you to pay to go further. Courses identify problem keys, words per minute, and accuracy. Log-in to keep track of your progress.
- Tactus Keyboard – Introduces the keyboard layout and provides practice lessons.
- Windows 7 Tutorial - 17 videos on using this operating system and how to get the most out of it. Learn about some of the new features that Microsoft has included to make using the computer easier. Recommended for users that are familiar with the mouse and keyboard and basic functions of a computer.
- Windows 8 Helpful Resources - PDF document listing resources available through the library.
- Windows 8 Tutorial – These tutorials will provide you with the information you need to navigate through this new Windows operating system.
- Windows 8 End User Training Brochure (downloadable PDF from Microsoft)- learn how to get around, navigate, manage apps, and personalize in Windows 8.
- Articles introducing Windows 8 and 8.1 and their basic concepts from 7tutorials.com - A series of short articles providing step-by-step guidance for using Windows 8 and 8.1.
- Getting Started Tutorials for Windows 8.1 from Microsoft - Windows "how-tos" covering everything from getting online to using SkyDrive.
- Adjusting your settings in Windows 8.1 so that it acts more like Windows 7 - The desktop lover's guide to to supercharging Windows 8.1 and The Metro hater's guide to Windows 8.1.
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion Tutorial – Learn how to use the new features in Mountain Lion, such as the Notification Center, iCloud integration, and the Share button, as well as older features like Finder.
- Mac OS X Mavericks – Learn some of the new features as well as the fundamental skills that you'll need to navigate Mavericks, the newest operating system for Mac desktops and laptops.
- Excel Easy Tutorials - Excel Easy offers a variety of Excel tutorials as well as related examples and features.
- GCF Learn Free – Microsoft Office tutorials Also available in Spanish.
- In Pictures – Step-by-step computer tutorials based on pictures instead of words. Covers many Microsoft Office programs.
- Microsoft Office tutorials from Microsoft - If you’re looking for help in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access or other Microsoft products, these tutorials will help. They are available for versions 2003 and newer.
- Microsoft Office training manuals (PDFs) - Free manuals for Office 2003, 2007 and 2010, from Best STL, a London-based company.
- Microsoft Office for the Mac tutorials - Videos and pdf documents that teach you how to use Office 2011 software on your Macintosh computer.
- Microsoft Office 2013 Quick Start Guides (PDFs) - Click here for guides to Access, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, Visio, and Word.
- How to recover that un-saved Microsoft Office Excel, Word, or PowerPoint file you closed before saving. (PDF)
- Google Apps Learning Center – Videos and instruction guides for various Google apps including gmail, calendar, docs and more.
- GCF Learn Free - Google Docs (part of Google Drive) - This tutorial steps you through the ins and outs of creating documents using Google Docs, a free, easy-to-use, word processing option.
- GCF Learn Free - Google Spreadsheets (part of Google Drive) - This tutorial shows you how to use the free Google spreadsheet application.
- GCF Learn Free - Office Web Apps (part of Microsoft SkyDrive) - This tutorial explains how to access and use Office Web Apps, a free, online version of Microsoft Office.
- Bare Bones 101 – Produced by USC’s library, this site will help you understand basic searching on the Internet as well as explanations of several different search engines.
- GCF Learn Free - Internet 101 – An introductory guide through Internet basics, providing up-to-date information on the latest online tools and technologies. Also in Spanish.
- Learn The Net – An excellent site for any beginner venturing out onto the Internet. It explains topics ranging from clicking on links to social networks.
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly – This tutorial explains how to find and use Internet resources that provide quality information, and how to avoid misinformation and scams.
- Internet Research for College Classes – The Virtual Training Suite aims to help university students to develop Internet research skills to assist with their university coursework and assignments.
- Search for Images on The Internet – Learn how to use the Internet to find copyright cleared images.