Acton Memorial Library
Otto Geers served on the Fort Henry.
Fort Henry was purchased 25 March 1862 at NewYork; and commissioned 3 April 1862, Acting Lieutenant J. C. Walsh in command.
Assigned to the East Gulf Blockading Squadron, Fort Henry arrived at Key West, Fla., 2 June 1862 for blockade duty in the vicinity of St. George Sound and the Cedar Keys. Highly successful in apprehending blockade runners, she took one sloop in 1862, and in 1863, took four schooners, four sloops, and one smaller craft. In April 1863, with St. Lawrence and Sagamore, she made an expedition to scour the coast between the Suwanee River and Anclote Keys. A sloop was taken off Bayport 9 April, where the group engaged an enemy battery and set a schooner flaming with its fire.
On 20 July 1863, Fort Henry sent her launch to reconnoiter the Crystal River, an expedition in which two of her men were killed by fire from the shore. She sailed north in June 1865, arriving at New York 19 June. There she was decommissioned 8 July 1865, and sold 15 August 1865.
From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. Washington: Navy Dept., Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Naval History Division, 1959-1981, vol. 2, p. 433. Online at: www.history.navy.mil/danfs