Civil War Records of John Wall


Death notice for John Wall

Concord Enterprise, September 9, 1914


nespaper clipping topA TRUE SOLDIER
John Wall, Who Died Monday, Deserved that Appellation:
Served His Country Nobly During the Civil War and Was Ideal Citizen

John Wall died at his home on Acton st. at 3.30 Monday afternoon as the result of paralytic shock. Mr. Wall was first stricken Aug. 12, 1913, and while he never fully recovered from the effects still he was able to be about and apparently was in fair health. Last Wednesday while mowing his lawn he was again taken ill, when it was thought that the excessive heat was responsible, but it was soon developed that the attack was of a very serious nature.
Early Monday morning there was a decided change for the worse and he sank gradually until he passed peacefully away.
Mr. Wall was 72 years of age and was born in Ireland, coming to this country when a young man and settling in that part of Concord known as Westvale, that being in 1857.
     Shortly after the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in Co. B, 10th Mass. Volunteers and served with that company and regiment throughout the war. Mr. Wall enlisted from Col. Barrett’s house in Concord and his record of service was 21 battles of varying degrees of magnitude and he was under fire 96 consecutive days and nights. His regiment which entered Richmond April 3, 1865, was one of the first to enter Richmond. Mr. Wall was in some of the most bitter engagements of the war, including Petersburg and Cold Harbor, two of the most sanguinary conflicts of the entire war. At the battle of Morris Island, Aug. 20, 1863, he was struck by a bursting shell, when the sight of one eye was destroyed.










Mr. Wall narrowly escaped death on this occasion as several men standing nearby were fatally injured. He was made a corporal during his term of service and was presented with a gold medal suitably inscribed in recognition of his service. Mr. Wall was one of the remaining 15 left in his company, who answered roll call at Richmond after three years of service.
     newspaper clipping bottomMr. Wall was the ideal soldier, courageous efficient, alert and highly typical of the best element which fought to save the union.
     At the conclusion of the war Mr. wall was mustered out with an honorable discharge and also a certificate from Gov. Claflin of Massachusetts acknowledging the service to his country. After returning from the war, Mr. Wall was employed for a time in the mill at Westvale, but late in 1865 he came to Maynard o live and had always resided here since that time, thus having the distinction of being one of the old time resident of the town.
     For ten years he was in partnership with his brother Michael in the conduct of a painting business, but owing to eye trouble as a result of wounds inflicted as stated above, he retired from active service 25 years ago.
     During his long residence in Maynard Mr. Wall lived a life that reflected the splendid character of the man, a fine, clean open hearted gentleman, a true Christian in every sense of the word and a man among men, it as little wonder that he held unbounded respect and esteem of the townspeople. He stood always for those things in life which men think worth while and his memory will long be cherished in the hearts of all those who knew him well.
     Mr. Wall was an active member of the Isaac Davis post, G.A.R. of Acton, and up to the time he was first taken ill, was senior vice commander of the post. He was also a popular member of the Twilight club at Lake Boon and was a member of the Holy Name society of ST. Bridget’s church, at which he was a devout attendant. He is survived by one brother, Michael, of this town.