Civil War Records of Theodoric Albert Jones


Obituary for Theodoric Albert Jones

Maynard News, March 3, 1922


newspaper clipping


Former Engineer Survives Wife
Only Nine Days

    Theodoric A. Jones, aged seventy-six years, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Lyman Priest, Concord street, after an illness lasting two weeks. He survived his wife, Mary E. Jones, by only nine days.
     He was born in South Sudbury and had been a resident of Maynard for the past thirty years, during which time he served a number of years as engineer at the Assabet mills. His health had been failing for several years.
     He is survived by two brothers, four sisters, two daughters, ten grandchildren and two great-grand-children. He was a member of Charles A. Welch lodge, A.F. & A.M., the Ancient Order of United Workmen, G.A.R., and a member of the Congregational church.
     The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon, from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Lyman Priest, Concord street, 2 o’clock.




Concord Enterprise, March 8, 1922


Civil War Veteran Passed Away, at
Home of Daughter, Mrs. Lyman
Priest; Surviving His Wife
by About One Week

    newspaper clipping part 1Theodoric A. Jones, a highly respected resident and Civil war veteran, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Lyman Priest, Concord SL., Wednesday noon. Mr. Jones survived his wife about one week.
     Mr. Jones was born in Sudbury on Sept. 18, 1845, the son of William Phelps Jones and Catherine Brown Jones. He was a lineal descendant of Col. Ezekial Howe of Wayside Inn, Sudbury, a family of old Colonial stock.
     Mr. Jones was enlisted at the age of 17 for the Civil war with Co. F. 45th Mass. Inf., and served through the war. After the war he returned to Sudbury where he learned the trade of machinist. He came to Maynard in 1884 where he entered the employ of the Assabet woolen mills where he was engineer until six years ago when he retired because of failing health.
     Mr. Jones was a member of Charles A. Welch lodge, A.F. & A.M., and was prominent in Masonic circles throughout the state. He held every office in the fit of his home lodge and was its senior master. He was district deputy grand marshal of this Masonic district for two terms.
     He was also a member of Isaac Davis post, G.A.R., of Summer Hill Lodge, A.O.U.W.
     Mr. Jones married Emma Dakin, daughter of John Dakin of a Sudbury family that dates its ancestry back to the early days.


     newspaper clipping part 2The sympathy of the townspeople went out to the bereaved family. This was expressed by hundreds who called at the home to pay their last tribute and also by numerous floral tributes.
     The funeral was held Saturday afternoon. Charles A. Welch lodge of Masons escorted the body to the cemetery where the burial was with Masonic rites. The committal service at the grave was read by Fred Sims, worshipful master of the home lodge.
     Services at the home were [conducted] by Rev. William Bolcourt, pastor of the Congregational church, of which the deceased was a member. A delegation of Frank F. Demaris post, American Legion, representing the G.A.R., marched at the head of the escort. The bearers were Alvin Stone and Robert Hatch, George H. Gattenridge, Calvin Taylor, Roy Dunniston, and Irving Dart. Burial was in the family lot at Glenwood cemetery. Summer Hill lodge, A.Q.U.W. was represented by a delegation.
     Mr. Jones is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Lyman Priest, and Mrs. Calvin Whitney, both of this town.