Concord Enterprise, 28 May 1902

   Saturday evening W. R. C.,¹ No. 62, held a special meeting in G. A. R. hall, to which Post 138 was invited. The severe shower which came up at night fall hindered some from being present, but there was a very good attendance, a barge load of members coming from Maynard. For some time the ladies of Corps 62 have been planning to give the Post a social and at the same time present them with a new silk flag to replace the one they have carried since they were first organized and which was showing unmistakable signs of age. The meeting was called to order by the president, Mrs. Sara R. Richardson, who after brief words of welcome, made the presentation to the post in behalf of the corps through Commander Clough. The flag was borne into the hall by Mrs. Fannie Parker and Mrs. Sarah A. Hutchins, escorted by the corps color bearers, Miss Fannie Weatherbee, Mrs. Susie Hall, Mrs. Hattie Hayward, Mrs. Nancy Chaffin. Commander Clough received the flag and made a fitting response. Otto Guro², post color bearer supported the flag during the formal exercises. The flag is of heavy silk of fine texture, 6x5 1-2 feet, bordered and trimmed with gold bullion fringe and tassels, also the name and number of the post and the stars in gold, on the staff is a silver plate with the inscription "Presented to Isaac Davis Post, 138, by W. R. C., No. 62. As Commander Clough closed his remarks the audience arose and sang “The Star Spangled Banner.” The secretary of the corps, Miss Nellie H. Hall, then read a poem, “Then and Now,” which closed the formal exercises the remaining time being spent socially. Refreshments of cake, ice cream and sherbert were served. This closed one of the pleasant events in the annals of Post and Corps.

1 — W.R.C. was the Women's Relief Corps, a ladies' auxiliary of the Grand Army of the Republic veterans organization.
2 — Otto Geers. The flag described in this news item is an earlier version of the one on display at the entrance of the "Not Afraid to Go" exhibit at the Acton Memorial Library. It may, in fact, be the one shown in the photograph of Otto Geers that is on display in the exhibit. See also 27 May 1914.