Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, April 30, 1861


   New York was a scene of unexampled excitement on Thursday, the 18th of April, for on that day the Sixth Regiment of Massachusetts Militia arrived in our city, on their way to defend the Federal Capital. To receive them with due honor, Colonel Le Gal the Commander of the Lafayette regiment, marched up to the New Haven depot, Twenty-seventh street, but owing to some mistake, they were informed they would not arrive for some hours. They consequently marched back to their Armory. About half-past five in the morning in the cars came bearing the gallant Bay State regiment. By this time an immense throng had collected, who gave their visitors a most hearty reception. The brave fellows then left the cars, marched down Twenty-seventh street to Fifth avenue, thence to Broadway, through Union square, and then to the Metropolitan Hotel, where four companies took breakfast. Another detachment went to the St. Nicholas, and the remainder repaired to the Astor House. The streets were lined with a dense crowd, which cheered them vociferously.
   At half-past eleven o'clock the battalions from the Metropolitan and the St. Nicholas took up their line of march for the Jersey City Ferry, and on arriving at the Astor House were joined by their comrades, and the whole regiment marched to the foot of Cortlandt street, followed by a dense mass of people, who greeted on the way with uninterrupted cheers. They were transported to Jersey City on the new ferryboat John P. Jackson, and were met at the dock by Mayor Van Vorst, of Jersey City, Chief of Police Marinus, and Sheriff Francis, and by an immense crowd of Jersey men and women, who gave them a welcome not less warm than that they had received in this city. Eighteen cars were ready for their reception, in which they embarked as soon as practicable, and at a few minutes past one o'clock the train started for Philadelphia. A hardier-looking or better trained regiment of militia has never visited this city. The following is a list of the companies, with their officers, number of men in each, and where from:

Company C, of Stoneham, Capt. John H. Dyke79
Company A, of Middlesex, Capt. J. A. Lawdell67
Company D, of Lowell, Capt. J. W. Hart55
Company C, of Lowell, Mechanic Phalanx, Capt. Albert S. Follansbee57
Company I, of Lawrence, Capt. John Pickering65
Company E, of Acton, Capt. Daniel Tuthill¹46
Company H, of Lowell, J. F. Noyes, Lieut. Com.53
Company F, of Lawrence, Capt. P. F. Chadbourne63
Company B, of South Groton Junction, Capt. E. S. Clark93
Company B, of Worcester, Light Infantry, Capt. H. W. Pratt93
Company C, of Boston, First Regiment, Capt. H. S. Sampson67
   In addition, there are members who have either previously left or are yet to arrive, the full complement of the regiment being eight hundred men. They arrived at Philadelphia about eight o'clock, and took supper at the Continental and Girard. Their reception in Philadelphia was equally enthusiastic with that of New York.
Massachusetts Volunteers by the People of Baltimore.

   At noon on the 19th instant the city was startled by a telegram stating that the Baltimoreans had disputed the passage of the regiment, and that a bloody fight had taken place, resulting in a considerable loss of life. Such a report naturally caused great uneasiness, as an obstruction in Baltimore closed up the direct avenue to Washington, and much delay must necessarily ensue in reinforcing the Federal Capital. Confirmation of the news speedily arrived, and the details of the short sharp fight in the streets we give below. It was supposed that the Philadelphia troops and the Seventh Regiment would have to fight their way through Baltimore, but the burning of the railroad bridges prevented their going through by rail, and saved, in all probability, hundreds of valuable lives.
   We have, in another column, described the departure from New York and the arrival in Philadelphia of the Sixth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteers. We will take up their march from the time they arrived in Baltimore.
The Fight in the Streets of Baltimore.
   The Massachusetts regiment occupied eleven cars, and arrived safely and in excellent spirits at Baltimore. There was no demonstration made upon their arrival, and the cars were permitted to leave the depot with the troops still on board. The cars proceeded quietly through the streets of Baltimore on their way to the depot, at the other side of the town, and the fears expressed by some of the citizens that an attack would be made were somewhat allayed. But they had not proceeded more than a couple of blocks before the crowd became so dense that the horses attached to each car were scarcely able to push their way through.
   At this point the mob began hooting and yelling frightfully, and loud threats were uttered against the military. The troops, however, maintained a strict reserve, neither showing themselves nor replying to the insults so plentifully heaped upon them. The crowd finding that they could not thus exasperate the volunteers, commenced throwing stones, brickbats and other missiles, and eventually tearing up the pavements and hurling them in a perfect shower against the cars, smashing the windows and severely wounding many of the troops. However, the first nine cars succeeded in reaching the depot and departed for Washington.²
   The remaining two cars of the train, containing about one hundred men, were cut off from the main body, and the men found themselves encompassed by an infuriated mob of over eight thousand. These isolated cars were immediately attacked, and several of the soldiers had their muskets snatched from them. At this moment news came that the Philadelphia Volunteers had arrived, and the report excited the mob to a fearful degree.
   The Massachusetts men, finding the cars untenable, alighted and formed a solid square, advancing with fixed bayonets upon all sides in double quick time, all the while surrounded by the mob—now swelled to the number of at least ten thousand—yelling and hooting. The military behaved admirably, and still abstained from firing upon their assailants.
   The mob now commenced throwing a perfect shower of missiles, occasionally varied by a random shot from a revolver or one of the muskets taken from the soldiers. The poor fellows suffered severely from the immense quantity of stones, oysters, brickbats, paving-stones, &c., the shots fired also wounding several. When two of the soldiers had been killed, and the wounded had been conveyed to the centre of the column, the troops at last, exasperated and maddened by the treatment they had received, commenced returning the fire singly, killing several, and wounding a large number of the rioters; but at no one time did a single platoon fire in a volley. Our informant is positive upon this point.
   The volunteers, after a protracted and severe struggle, at last succeeded in reaching the depot, bearing with them in triumph their killed and wounded, and immediately embarked. The scene is described in glowing terms by our informant, who says that the calm courage and heroic bearing of the troops spoke volumes for the sons of Massachusetts, who, though marching under a fire of the most embarrassing description, and opposed to overwhelming odds, nevertheless succeeded in accomplishing their purpose, and effected a passage through crowded streets a distance of over a mile—a feat not easily accomplished by a body of less than one hundred men when opposed to such terrific odds.

1 — The commander of the Davis Guards militia, Company E of the 6th Massachusetts Volunteer Militia was Capt. Daniel Tuttle.
2 — The regiment did not continue on to Washington until the cut-off companies had fought their way through to Camden Station.