Libby by OverDrive
by Reference Librarian 2 | June 27, 2018 at 04:06 PM
What is Libby?
Libby is OverDrive’s newest app for ebooks and audiobooks. Users can quickly and seamlessly access the same OverDrive ebooks and audiobooks as the website and original app. No need to choose a format when downloading – simply borrow and start reading or listening!
Libby also allows users to save multiple library cards to the app – for instance everyone in a family can have easy access to ebooks and audiobooks borrowed under their individual cards.
Libby is currently available for Android (non-Kindle), iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch), and Windows 10 devices.
Please note: Libby is not currently available for Amazon Kindle Fire tablets. Fire users can enjoy ebooks and audiobooks through OverDrive using one of these options:
- Download the original OverDrive app from the Amazon App Store.
- Deliver the book in Kindle Book format from the OverDrive website in any Internet browser.
- Use the "Send to Kindle" option in the Libby app on a Libby-compatible device.
Will Libby replace the original OverDrive app?
OverDrive does not currently plan to discontinue the original app. If you have used the original OverDrive app, we encourage you to give the new app a try and choose the experience you prefer.
Users will also still need to use the OverDrive website or original app to do the following:
- Recommend OverDrive books for library purchase – this feature is not yet available in Libby.
- Access wish lists created via the OverDrive website or original app.
- Watch streaming video.
You can find more information on the Libby app here.